DRINK MORE WATER! How many times a day/week/month do you hear that? Have you ever tried to drink as much water as “they” recommend in a day? How did you feel (other than having to pee all the time?!)?
Dieticians of Canada recommend 3L of water for men and 2L of water for women PER DAY! That is a TON of water. Now, they do state this can come from milk, juice, etc. but also state that water is the best choice.
How on earth can you possibly get even close to that recommended amount? Here are a few ideas:
1. Drink a glass of water as soon as you get up in the morning.
2. Keep a water bottle with you at all times during the day and sip on it continuously (at work, in the car, at home, at the gym).
3. Have a glass of water with each meal.
4. Make it taste good (if you don’t like the taste of plain water). Add fresh foods like lemons, strawberries, mint, cucumber, limes, etc…the possibilities are endless. One of my favourites is mint and cucumber, it’s so refreshing! Try to stay away from other additions to your water (Crystal Light powders, squeezable squirter things, etc)…they add unnecessary crap (like sugar). And it goes without saying that pop doesn’t count toward your water intake!
5. Add (or subtract) ice! I HATE warm water. So I bought myself a really awesome, large, water bottle that keeps ice and my water cold all day long…even in the summer.
6. If you are really bad at remembering to drink water….there’s an app for that! There are actually apps out there that will set an alert to remind you to drink water.
Yes, you will have to pee more! But I guarantee you’ll feel better! Less headaches, less craving those not so healthy foods, better digestion, less UTIs (if you’re prone to them), the list is endless.
It should also go without saying that the more active you are, or the more you are sweating, the more water you need to consume (on top of the 2-3 L that is recommended).
Happy water drinking!